Friday, June 26, 2026

Canadian Food Inventions

  • Butter Tarts - Barrie 1900
  • Nanaimo Bars - Nanaimo 1952
  • Poutine - Montreal late 1950's
  • Hawkins Cheezies - Belleville 1949
  • Ginger Ale - Toronto 1907
  • Canola Oil - Sask/Manitoba 1960's
  • Pablum - Toronto 1930
  • Instant Mashed Potatoes - Ottawa 1962
  • Yukon Gold Potatoes - Guelph 1960's
  • Peanut Butter - Montreal 1884
  • California Rolls - Vancouver 1971
  • Cuban Lunch - Winnipeg 1948
  • The Caesar Drink - Calgary 1969
  • Beaver Tails - Ottawa 1978
  • Maple Syrup - Quebec Pre 17-1800's
  • Hawaiian Pizza - Chatham 1962
  • Ginger Beef - Calgary 1975
  • Chewing Gum - Toronto 1860's

My favorite Canadian Food Invention is Nanaimo Bars.  Peanut Butter, Ginger Ale and Yukon Gold Potatoes are next.  I've never had a Beaver Tail.  We didn't have one when we were in Ottawa but there is a Beaver Tail pastry shop in White Rock a couple of doors east of Moby Dicks.  I was going to get one until I read this: 

BeaverTails pastries range from 385 to 640 calories depending on the flavor. Classic cinnamon-sugar and lemon options sit on the lower end, while heavily loaded, chocolate-drizzled, and candy-topped varieties push into the higher calorie spectrum.

I'd never heard of Cuban Lunch so I looked it up:

The Cuban Lunch is a nostalgic Canadian chocolate bar originally made in Winnipeg. Discontinued in 1991, this classic treat consists of a block of dark chocolate packed with crunchy peanuts, famously served in a distinct red frilly paper cup. It was successfully revived by an Alberta couple and is now manufactured in Delta, British Columbia. 



Al Quiring: The Man Behind the Tow Truck

  Al Quiring is one of those local legends whose work speaks for itself. While many people know him from television, those who have met him ...