Sunday, January 26, 2020

Fabulous Burns Dinner!

Yesterday we had a wonderful Burns Dinner with Janice, Jim, Donna, Carol and Dave!  Janice went to so much work preparing this great event!

Janice set a beautiful table.   This is from her blog:
I set the table with my mother-in-law's tablecloth which has a tartan theme, my family's china, and my grandmother Phoebe's sterling silver. I made napkins rings and place names for all the guests with their respective tartans. My napkin ring is my grandmother Phoebe's. Her initials are on top and my mother had "Janice" inscribed on the side. There were four napkin rings so" Richard" and "Jim "on inscribed on two others. 

Carol, Donna and I loved her mom's china.  I don't remember seeing it when we were neighbours.  I'm sure it was used for very special occasions.

We started by having some awesome Scotch, played Scottish Trivia and told Scottish jokes.  The German/Polish guy got the trivia question:  What is the Edinburgh Castle built on?  Extinct volcano.  Obviously he was paying attention to the tour guide while I was checking out the kilts on our tour of the castle!

This was followed by Piping in the Haggis (thanks to You Tube).  Dave brought his sword and Jim carried the haggis.

Jim was right behind him with the haggis.  Here is the ADDRESS TO THE HAGGIS, done by Jim:

Jim Sexton's Address to the Haggis January 25, 2020

After a delicious dinner of Red and White Wine, Leek and Potato soup, Scotch pies, Neeps (turnips), Scotch Eggs and Caesar Salad we went into the living room.  Cec and Dave toasted the lassies and Carol, Donna and I responded.  The comments were really funny!


Jim toasted to the "Immortal Bard", Janice toasted to the memory of friends and family, Donna toasted to Scotland and I toasted to Her Majesty. Queen Elizabeth II.  Then we all wished Harry and Meghan received the invite.

It was followed by dessert and coffee if we had any room left!  Janice served shortbread, oatcakes, peanut butter and chocolate oatmeal squares!

Janice made favours for each family.  This included a bagpipe, inside the bagpipe were the tartans of McGregor and Penman.  There were Scottish Jokes, trivia, a Christmas ornament with highland dancers and delicious McIntosh toffees that I just found and I'm chewing on one as I post my blog!  Thanks, Janice a lovely touch!
These were inside the bagpipes!

Janice, Carol and I all grew up on the same block on 45th Avenue, Vancouver
Donna was a high school and Job's Daughter's friend to us.  Jim, Janice and I all graduated the same year at Killarney Secondary.  Carol was born right after New Years, therefore was a year behind us in school.  After school, we all got married and went in different directions.  Carol and Dave lived in Edmonton and Belgium!  Janice and Jim moved to Victoria.  I'm glad they came all back to Vancouver and we reunited!

“Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
and days of auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,
we'll take a cup of kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.”
― Robert Burns


We noticed a huge black cloud coming in from the west and left before the monsoon started

An amazing photo

Two years ago CNN released a photo taken by the photographer Anil Prabhakar in the forest in Indonesia. The image shows an orangutan, curren...