Tuesday, October 20, 2020

The saga of a flu shot

My family doctor told me to make sure I got a flu shot this year.  I tried to make an appointment but they told me "first come, first served".  I don't like to play that game because he works out of a very busy clinic.  He was the original owner, but sold to Well Health.  

I get my prescriptions at Shoppers Drug Mart.  That's where I've got previous flu shots so I signed up for "text message, when flu shots are available".  Two weeks ago when I heard they were in, I didn't get a text from Shoppers but I heard Save On Foods and London Drugs were taking appointments.  London Drugs wait was huge, but Save On Foods appointments were readily available.  I waited for a couple of days because I was still getting over my cold.  However, the day I was scheduled I was still coughing so I postponed it until yesterday.

I got to my appointment early and waited in a small line with a mask on.  I gave the pharmacist my completed health form and she said "sorry, we are out of flu shots".  She then added my name to the second page of a wait list for flu shots!  I don't know why they didn't have the courtesy to either phone or email me as they were obviously out of stock for quite some time.  I was not impressed.

After my Save On visit, I drove to Shoppers Drug Mart.  Walking from my car to Shoppers, I passed  my doctors office. There was a sign out front "flu shots available".  I went in the clinic and there were 26 people ahead of me.  Because I'm a patient, I was able to make an appointment for next Tuesday!   Awesome!  I have no preexisting conditions and I am reasonably healthy.  I hope first responders, nurses, teachers and people with preexisting conditions have all received their shots!

On Monday, I spoke with my long time friend in Parksville.  She is a cancer survivor, asthmatic, and diabetic.  She can't get an appointment until November 22!  I wish the Health Department would organize flu shots for people who really need them first.   

If they find a COVID-19 vaccine, it's going to be like Black Friday at Best Buy!  Let's hope they prioritize the people who will need it first.

I just checked my phone and still haven't got the text from Shoppers Drug Mart.  

A great day to view large ships at Canada Place

Yesterday at Canada Place felt like one of those classic Vancouver cruise days—busy, bright, and full of anticipation. Three ships were in p...