Saturday, November 28, 2020

From a Fraser Valley Doctor

My cousin Sharon sent this to me.  She knows the entire family.   

Dustin Mattie

Long post and angry rant warning:

Hi friends. I'm going to take a break from social media for a while. I've been very disturbed to see so much terrible misinformation about Covid, and it's really distressing me. In the Fraser Valley of British Columbia, where I am working in a regional hospital, the number of covid cases is rapidly on the rise (as predicted and anticipated by epidemiologists and public health experts). There is a corresponding rise in very sick covid patients in the hospital (both in the designated Covid ward and in the ICU). The curve is on the rise, and if we don't do something, I hate to imagine what going to work is going to feel like.

I work as a Palliative care doctor. I've had people ask me why I would worry about Covid when my patients are going to die anyway. Can you imagine? My patients potentially have months of life left, which they would like to spend as comfortably as possible with family and loved ones. Instead, because many of the broader community has not followed the advice of public health officials and cases are on the rise, these people are spending the most difficult part of their lives largely isolated, with severe visitor restrictions. Many chose to avoid medical care, and consequently suffer physically. Covid has also directly affected some of my patients who got to spend the last moments of their lives isolated as they died from a potentially preventable infection.

I am so angry with people who produce false and misleading information about this pandemic. I am so angry with people who openly flaunt the advice of public health officials by refusing to wear a mask or put any effort into social distancing. It really pisses me off when people act like they are big heroes or so smart... that they aren't sheeple like the rest of us who happen to take the advice of real experts who have devoted their lives and careers to understanding things like pandemics. That they have the gall to think they can be presented with complex epidemiological data and make sense of it. That they cherry-pick information from a very small minority of doctors that suits their paradigm. I can't believe that for many, the most likely scenario here is that this is all part of some grand conspiracy to control the masses, and so they engage in behaviour that endangers their communities, their loved ones, and themselves. I am connected to a lot of doctors and nurses, and I don't know any who aren't losing sleep over this. I don't know any that are psychopaths engaged in some sort of bizarre conspiracy with the governments of literally every country in the world.

Because of the willful ignorance of many people out there, and because they are so selfish they can't be bothered to do the right thing, my vulnerable patients suffer. Vulnerable people in nursing homes suffer. Vulnerable people in our community suffer. Our hospitals are already becoming overwhelmed, and it is only bound to get worse. There will not be enough ICU beds or staff to care for the very sick. That doesn't just mean sick covid patients... that means if you or a loved one has a heart attack, or is in a car accident, or becomes septic, they may not get the care they need. It means that elective procedures (things like removing cancerous tumours or performing colonoscopies to detect cancer early, or my daughter's eye surgery to preserve her vision), will be postponed, and people will suffer. It also means that small businesses and families will suffer once again as lockdowns take place to flatten the curve.

My colleagues and I in the Fraser Valley are just starting to see the tsunami coming. People I know in other parts of the country/world are in the midst of it. It is time to change our behaviour now. Do the right thing. Care about your fellow humans. Care about my sister and me who are in the hospital. Stop pretending you are ignoring public health advice because you are standing up for your rights. You may not think it, but your behaviour is selfish and cruel and has the potential to cause unimaginable suffering. I know many of you are confused about who to trust, and what is truth. The fact of the matter is that you are witnessing the scientific method in real-time, and experts are having to make very big decisions in order to save as many lives as possible. Let's work together to save lives. Do the right thing.

Rant over. I care about you. Stay safe.

Mt. St. Helen's - 44 years ago!

Before                                                                After   Footage of the explosion On May 18, 1980, Washington's Mou...