Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Watching teens get a wonderful opportunity!

A few weeks ago I had tea with a friend.  She's a lot younger than I am and has a son in Grade 12.  I said "I have some , wonderful news".  She said "I do too, you go first".  I told her about Lexie getting called by the casting department of Let's Make A Deal.  

She told me her son was chosen to attend the Blue Jay's Canadian Futures.  I hadn't heard about it so she proceeded to tell me!  He was flown to Toronto and put up by the Blue Jays who paid for everything.  There is so much more to his week.  His parents went with him and his grandmother, who lives in Hamilton, Ontario went too!  Imagine watching your son in Rogers Center playing ball with the best of the best!  

He is a pitcher with a local team in our area.  When in Toronto, his pitch was clocked at 92 MPH!   He's received nine college offers!   What a fabulous thing to happen to a wonderful boy!  I wish him well and hope his dreams of the Major Baseball League come true!

The biggest amateur baseball tournament in Canada is back at Rogers Centre in 2024 with the 10th annual Canadian Futures Showcase presented by Rogers from September 17 – September 21.

Hosted by the Toronto Blue Jays Baseball Academy, the event enables Canada’s rising amateur talent with draft and college eligibility to further their athletic and academic careers, by exposing them to MLB scouts and college recruiters.

The showcase splits players evenly between six teams to compete against each other in a tournament-style format, starting with a scout day and concluding with a prospects game and home run derby on the final day. Players are selected through a series of open tryouts and in-person evaluations that run nationally over the spring and summer. 

Since 2013, 117 former Canadian Futures Showcase participants have been drafted by Major League Baseball organizations, with more than 700 receiving college scholarships.

If you are interested in more information, read the link below.  

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/community/baseball-academy/canadian-futures-showcase

Leaving on a jet plane

                                All my bags are packed                                    I'm ready to go                               ...