Hastings Park has hosted thoroughbred horse racing since 1889!
Hastings Racecourse and Casino Friday afternoon said it would no longer have thoroughbred horse racing.
The permanent end to that racing had been speculated given that B.C. Solicitor General Nina Krieger in November sent horse racing representatives a letter saying that the government would stop sharing slot machine revenue with the racecourse.
Her rationale for no longer wanting to share that revenue is that a government review of the industry showed "significant additional government spending" was needed to make horse racing sustainable.
At one time in B.C., horse racing was the only legal gambling allowed. That prompted large crowds to watch races. In recent years, the number of people attending the racecourse has been far lower than it was decades ago. Exact attendance is unavailable because attendance is free and there are no turnstiles.
The federal government broadened legal gambling in 1969 and B.C. created the BC Lottery Corp. in 1985. Gambling in B.C. expanded through the decades. Licensed casinos were allowed to operate and other forms of gambling became legal. That created competition for racecourses.
Harness racing at Surrey's Fraser Downs closed earlier this year.
“This was an extremely difficult decision, especially given the historical legacy of Hastings Racecourse in the local community and its importance to the province’s racing industry,” said Wayne Odegard, regional vice-president at Great Canadian Entertainment.
“Unfortunately, this is strictly a business decision based on a lack of economic feasibility to move forward with another season of horse racing at Hastings. We are incredibly thankful for our dedicated team members, racing participants and fan base for their support and patronage for so many years.”
