Tuesday, September 17, 2024

The Canada Dry Story

A vivid childhood memory for me was being given flat Canada Dry Ginger Ale when I was sick, but how did all this come about and why is it called that?

It all started with a young man named John J. McLaughlin from Enniskillen, Ontario.
In 1890, John was working at a soda factory in Brooklyn, New York. They made a syrupy ginger ale, but John thought he could make it better. He left the factory to open his own carbonated water plant in Toronto. In 1904, he created Canada Dry Pale Ginger Ale - a lighter, less syrupy version for a more refined palate (hence why it was called pale and dry signifying less sugary syrup in the drink)
The drink was immediately popular and referred to as the "Champagne of Ginger Ale." During Prohibition, Canada Dry Ginger Ale became a popular mixer to mask the taste of the period’s harsh homemade liquors.
Ginger in its natural form may have some cold and flu benefits, like reducing nausea, but in reality the pop version has few benefits aside from being a treat and getting some much needed liquids into children.

I always keep Canada Dry in my refrigerator. I don't wait until I'm sick, I find it a nice refreshing drink. I only buy the mini cans as the regular size are just much.

Tupperware

  Tupperware was founded in Orlando, Florida in 1946.  Yesterday they filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection.  For 78 years they have su...