Wednesday, September 4, 2024

US merchants and Canadian Debit/Credit cards

I read this on Facebook and it's been posted by many people who have had a problem:

I just want to let everyone know that when I went for diesel at Costco in Bellingham on Friday afternoon, after I finished my shipping (a cart full) and lined up to pay with my coast capital bank card and it was NOT ACCEPTED! I spoke with the Costco manager and she told me that Coast capital will not do business with Costco anymore and also my beloved Trader Joes. In a conversation with coast capital manager this morning, I was told that they don’t accept any retailer that uses a swipe instead of a chip, that is standard practise in Canada because they are finding so much fraud with the swipe. He said possibly Costco will change to chip devices. I advised him that Costco just got ALL NEW devices two weeks ago and they are all swipe, so he shouldn’t hold his breath. My point to Coast Capital was “. Why in the world did you not use your best practise customer service skills and let everyone in the lower mainland know?? An email would have been one click of the button and I could’ve prepared.” I told him that I was declined at the till at Costco and TJs and it was a waste of my time, it was embarrassing because I certainly have enough 💰💰💰💰💰 in my account. I also advised him that Costco USA used to take MC and coast capital had visa but now Costco has Visa and coast capital has changed to MC.

I use my Costco MasterCard with no problems at Bellingham Costco. The Costco card also has my Costco membership attached, so it makes it much easier to use one card.


Tupperware

  Tupperware was founded in Orlando, Florida in 1946.  Yesterday they filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection.  For 78 years they have su...