I just learned that the Star Princess is the largest ship ever to dock at Pier 27. Hard to believe, considering she didn’t use that pier on the way to Alaska — but she certainly made her presence known this time.
There’s something special about having an overnight in port during a cruise. Last night felt relaxed in a way sea days never quite do. No rushing back for sail away, no watching the clock. We enjoyed a lovely dinner onboard and then headed to an outstanding show with Ivan Pecel, a juggler and comedian who had the whole theatre laughing. A perfect evening without a hint of hurry.
This morning started simply with a quick breakfast before Don and I decided we needed a few sundries. Target was the mission. We walked over to catch the 14 bus, and the driver couldn’t have been kinder. He was just starting his route, and we were the only passengers. We asked how to pay — credit card, cash, what’s the fare? He smiled and said, “You’re visitors. Here’s a two‑hour pass.” A small gesture, but it made our morning.
We later discovered that the pass also worked on the trolley running down the Embarcadero, right past Pier 27. So on the way back, instead of retracing our steps, we hopped on the trolley and rode home in comfort, watching the waterfront roll by. I got off at pier 27. Don continued on to Pier 39 as he wanted Clam Chowder for lunch! Cec, Kathy and I went to the American Diner and had a relaxing buffet lunch.
A simple outing, but full of those little moments that make travel feel generous.
![]() |
| The Ferry Building |
![]() |
| The other side of Embarcadero showing the statue an the Ferry Building at Pier #1 |
![]() |
| You catch the #14 bus right by the Ferry Building and it took us right to Target! |
Richard's horse "B the King" had a great race. I should have placed a bet before I left!



